• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I take renewal even if I don't want to stay...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I take renewal even if I don't want to stay...

Current situation, have not been contracting too long so probably thinking about this from a moral point of view too much than I maybe should do...

I have been offered an extension of 4 months I don't really want to be here for another 4 months and would like to move on but nothing in the pipeline yet. I have a weeks notice in the contract, would it be wrong to take the renewal because I only have a weeks notice so it means I can keep myself in work/keep money coming in until I find something else?

I've had a split response so far from friends but wondered what other people in the same game feel about it?

I would always prefer to see contracts through but obviously odd occasions like this come up where I then think do I need to look after myself, if it was the other way round would they worry?

NB I work within support I don't work on projects where I would be leaving them in the lurch if I left.

Very simple:

You have a weeks notice so you would not be breaching contract even if you left at such short notic. However when you do switch be nice and say you will stay for 2 weeks to finish off work/assist in hand over. That way you can jump ship and show that you are not going to leave client in a pickle..... everybody wins.

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
      I've had a split response so far from friends but wondered what other people in the same game feel about it?
      You're going to get split response here as well.

Either:

(a) look after number one. You're in business for yourself, so look after yourself. The client would do the same to you if they wanted shot - find something you want to do, then walk. Nothing is going to happen, so don't worry about it.

or

(b) you set the expectation that you would be there for four months when you signed the contract, and you should stick to that. How would you feel if the boot were on the other foot and the client terminated your contract in a couple of weeks because they found someone cheaper and showed you the door with minimum notice? You are meant to be a professional, so act like one and stay where you are until the end of the contract.

Take your choice - I've summed up whatever anyone else is going to say in this thread in one easy post for you.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would normally say that you set the expectation that you would be there for four months when you signed the contract, and you should stick to that. How would you feel if the boot were on the other foot and the client terminated your contract in a couple of weeks because they found someone cheaper and showed you the door with minimum notice? You are meant to be a professional, so act like one and stay where you are until the end of the contract.

However, as your role is not project-based, and you're working in support, you can look after number one. You're in business for yourself, so look after yourself. The client would do the same to you if they wanted shot - find something you want to do, then walk. Nothing is going to happen, so don't worry about it.

HTH.

Comment

I have recently had a change of heart on this.

I used to think along the professional line and that I have signed for x months so stick it out.

BUT

back in November previous Clientco extended me for a further 6 months implying I was in contract for 6 months, 1 month later they terminated this as they had changed strategy, so I was out the door after another months notice period.

It swings both ways just try not to burn your bridges you never know when you will need a way back in.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
            NB I work within support I don't work on projects where I would be leaving them in the lurch if I left.
            You answered your own question.

They can get someone else in.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just to be devils advocte lets look at your position. you say you have not been contracting long so my question to you is why do you want to leave? Is the job so hard and political you are losing sleep? is it so far from home it is affecting your family life. In that case i would say yes take it and look around.

Are you just a bit bored? Job isnt as exciting as you though? Its not 700 quid a day like you tought contracting was? Do you know how hard it will be to gwt another role? These are common situations for people new to contracting looking for an easy life. If it is one of these I would say stick it through. You need to get some solid experience under your belt if you want a smooth ride nd sometimes gotta grow some very broad shoulders to be a contractor. You cannot afford to be giving notice just because you fancy it so early on in your career. Keep doing this and you will be looking at some long bench time over your career.

Hope that pus a slightly different perspective on it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I suppose it depends on the market you are in. For myself, the market is dire at the moment. I would accept any extension to a current contract. In December 10, I was extended to the end of June 11. Unless things improve, I would say that there is every chance of bench time for me after that. I have been working for 38 years (the last 9 as a contractor) and never had a day out of work yet. But it could happen this year, I think.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Nothing wrong with signing and then using your week's notice, if that's what you've got. It wouldn't have been in the contract otherwise.

Comment

Northernladuk you are right and I would never leave a contract/turn down a renewal unless I had very good reason. I know if I just left contracts for silly reasons the next one might be the same and the next and so on, so yes could find myself out of work more than in.

My issue here is, long story short -

-brought in to help with a backlog
                    -1 other person on site with 400 users
                    -other person left, they asked if I wanted to stay and take job.
                    -agreed as contractor.
                    -Way too much work for 1 support person, has been mentioned but falls on deaf ears, management not on this site.
                    -starting to stress me out a bit hence why I don't want another 4 months of it but don't want to be out of work no money coming in either given I can carry on working here for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X