• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting my first contract at the end of the month...some questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my first contract at the end of the month...some questions

I'm starting my first contract in about a fortnight's time. I decided to go limited rather than umbrella as the admin doesn't seem too daunting if you have a good accountant and the difference in the payment calculators seemed enough to justify any additional hassle.

I registered with Nixon Williams yesterday after doing some research on here and they're on the case with incorporation. Once that's confirmed I need to get PI/PL insurance sorted (from QDOS probably which means I can also get an IR35 review) and a bank account but that's in hand.

I worked in recruitment briefly after graduating (didn't like it and wasn't very good at it) so I'm not completely wet behind the ears but there was never any need for me to get involved with the finer details. I also did some tax law at uni but I can only remember the salient points about IR35 so once I get allocated an accountant at NW I'm going to have a chat with them about salary, dividends etc and go over the details.

I don't have the contract yet, but the agency has said the payment terms are invoice after 30 days and then 45 to process payment - I had a look on here and it seems that's certainly getting towards the upper end of what's acceptable. Are the payment terms normally negotiable?

Generally I would say yes depending on how tough you are. If you make a mess of asking and they see right through you you will struggle. If it is pretty clear you will walk rather than accept what they offer you tend to get a change. How flexible they are is a different matter.

The ones you quote are right on the top end though and are way off the norm. I am on 30 days and comfortable with it on this gig but I wouldn't have taken it on a few others I can think of. I would most certainly have a go at pushing that one!
    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 November 2011, 15:30.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OK, thanks. The project I'm going to work on is pretty big and there'll quite a few of us on it so I'm not sure how much me being willing to walk will spur them in to negotiating - will give it a shot though.

What factors do you consider when deciding if you'll take longer payment terms?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebsy View Post
        I don't have the contract yet, but the agency has said the payment terms are invoice after 30 days and then 45 to process payment - I had a look on here and it seems that's certainly getting towards the upper end of what's acceptable. Are the payment terms normally negotiable?
        I wouldn't accept those terms.

If you are invoicing monthly, then I expect payment to be 7 days or less. If invoicing weekly, then I'll extend 30 day terms on that, but nothing longer.

I think that they are taking the p1ss, knowing you are a newbie. Tell them to shove it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The problem is that the project I'll be working on is big and there'll be at least a couple of hundred of us; ultimately I'm pretty disposable and don't expect to have much leverage. They might take a 'if you don't like it, lump it' approach.

For most of the people on this project this will be their first contract and many might not know better. The cynical side of me also wonders if it's just to encourage people to use one of the recommended umbrella companies who have better payment terms.

Comment

The problem is that the project I'll be working on is big and there'll be at least a couple of hundred of us; ultimately I'm pretty disposable and don't expect to have much leverage. They might take a 'if you don't like it, lump it' approach.

For most of the people on this project this will be their first contract and many might not know better. The cynical side of me also wonders if it's just to encourage people to use one of the recommended umbrella companies who have better payment terms.
            Always remember that the client picked you for the role as you have skills useful to him. The agent gets you on board to save the client the hassle. The client will not tolerate agents that lose their skilled resources they need over quabbles about payment so you do hold some power. The won't be happy at all if the agent bin you over this and the client is back to square one.

The fact everone else is new might also work in your favour if you can demostrate you have a bit more about you. They may be willing to listen more to you than the other guys just moaning about what they dont know
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I wouldn't accept those terms.

If you are invoicing monthly, then I expect payment to be 7 days or less. If invoicing weekly, then I'll extend 30 day terms on that, but nothing longer.

I think that they are taking the p1ss, knowing you are a newbie. Tell them to shove it.
              WTFS. They are asking for nearly three months credit, which to my mind is unacceptable. Be prepared to lose the job but remember if you accept these terms, and it went wrong, you could be working for nothing for the length of a bog-standard 3-month contract.
              Seriously - keep looking.
              Offer a months credit - max.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                The folks here are absolutely right. None of us would accept those payment terms from an agency.

Jeebsy, don't let them dick you around just because you are a new boy. You are a business man now, would you offer another business 10 weeks credit??? No bloody way. Go back to them and go straight for the throat, tell them you're not budging on the payment terms TheFaQQer suggests. They will scream like a stuck pig and then tell you this will have to be escalated to the finance manager for approval, come back with a counter offer but stand up to them.

I they threaten to withdraw the contract then make it clear to them that you are going to speak to the client and tell them that you would have taken the job except for the draconian payment terms. DO NOT stand for this nonsense. remember that the client wants YOU and the agency are just the middle man here.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Thanks guys. I can't not take this contract unfortunately, but I'll certainly try and hardball them a bit once they send me to contract and escalate it up to a manager to see what they can do. The agency sent an email out this morning looking for more people so the project isn't fully resourced yet which could work in my favour as they won't want people dropping out in that case.

Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Thanks guys. I can't not take this contract unfortunately, but I'll certainly try and hardball them a bit once they send me to contract and escalate it up to a manager to see what they can do. The agency sent an email out this morning looking for more people so the project isn't fully resourced yet which could work in my favour as they won't want people dropping out in that case.

Will let you know how it goes.
                    Best of luck with it. Have you got any contact details for someone at the client?

If the agency start messing about and tell you that they'll pull the plug on you, it's a nice position to be in to be able to say "OK, do you want me to ring XYZ and tell him/her why I'm not going to be starting, or do you?" and then listen to them frantically back peddle.

(Oh, and welcome to CUK )
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X