• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General question on mobile friendly websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General question on mobile friendly websites

Now that Google is penalising search ratings on mobiles I ought to create a mobile friendly version. Although it does actually work on mobiles, it certainly isn't mobile friendly, having fixed width requiring zoom out or scrolling, some images probably rather big and defined in pixels etc.

Just pondering whether to use one of these automatic conversion services or do it meself. If latter, whether to do one site for all devices or just do an alternative version for mobiles. If latter, how reliable are the device checks?

Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Now that Google is penalising search ratings on mobiles I ought to create a mobile friendly version. Although it does actually work on mobiles, it certainly isn't mobile friendly, having fixed width requiring zoom out or scrolling, some images probably rather big and defined in pixels etc.

Just pondering whether to use one of these automatic conversion services or do it meself. If latter, whether to do one site for all devices or just do an alternative version for mobiles. If latter, how reliable are the device checks?

Cheers.
    A while back a client wanted a mobile friendly site, I was all for creating a m.sitename for mobile versions. However, I'm glad I didn't go down that route. We ended up using bootstrap to create a mobile friendly site that works on different screen sizes - it's pretty easy to do and works very well.

If I had an existing fixed width site I would probably look at some of the themed bootstrap templates you can buy and fit to my web site. I reckon you could make something that looks pretty good.

Sorry no idea about automatic services.
    Last edited by woohoo; 21 May 2015, 10:43.

Comment

Yep, I would agree, Bootstrap or Foundation are the way to go. They're easy to use and handle the responsive stuff for you, although be aware that if you need the site to work in IE8 and below you might run into problems due to a lack of media query support.

Edit: I also have no idea about the automatic conversions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
        although be aware that if you need the site to work in IE8 and below you might run into problems due to a lack of media query support.
        Internet Explorer 8 requires the use of Respond.js to enable media query support.

From

Getting started · Bootstrap

Comment

Cheers chaps. Not got round to it yet but will have a look at that Bootstrap thing.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Cheers.
            This prompted me to update a very basic (single html page) site, which I hadn't given any thought to mobile friendliness until now.

Tested using Google's site checker here it initially reported as mobile-unfriendly, but easily fixed by following the guidance here. Simples!

I know my case is probably the most basic ever but it's worth browsing the Google SEO guidance if you haven't already.
            https://developers.google.com/webmas.../select-config
            https://developers.google.com/webmas...site-software/
            https://developers.google.com/webmas...mmon-mistakes/
            https://developers.google.com/webmas...arted/mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              This prompted me to update a very basic (single html page) site, which I hadn't given any thought to mobile friendliness until now.

Tested using Google's site checker here it initially reported as mobile-unfriendly, but easily fixed by following the guidance here. Simples!
              Excellent - the TL;DR advice was all that was needed to sort out a certain popular comment generator. < 5 minutes and it is now "awesome".

Comment

Working...
              X