• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the coders - am I getting burned?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Doable in about an hour I'd say. So they should not quote more than 1 day.
    Dynamic crm would take 10 minutes. A badly implement orm could require days, however, as I discovered when I inherited llblgen disaster years ago
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You need to understand us developers are artists, art cannot be rushed, would you have told Picasso to breakdown his hours on one of his paintings?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Permie not performing and generally having a tulip attitude perhaps?
        How do you know? It could be an accurate timescale but you seem to have taken minimal information and drawn a conclusion.

Although your superficial analysis does seem to be a noticeable feature in your posts so hardly a surprise.

Comment

The 64 million rupee question... is the development being done off or on shore?

Comment

I'd have to wait the best part of a week to get a DBA QA on that at cientCo

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              You need to understand us developers are artists, art cannot be rushed, would you have told Picasso to breakdown his hours on one of his paintings?
              How long did it take Picasso to complete a painting? - Quora

Half a day. Sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                How do you know? It could be an accurate timescale but you seem to have taken minimal information and drawn a conclusion.

Although your superficial analysis does seem to be a noticeable feature in your posts so hardly a surprise.
                It was a question not a conclusion though you don't seem to know the difference.

It's also just one possibility when the permie in question built the system then has been working on it for years.

Then again I'm use to working in teams where we explain why think work will take the time it does....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  How do you know? It could be an accurate timescale but you seem to have taken minimal information and drawn a conclusion..
                  Well, I don't know about you, but I can only work with the information given - and that indicates that the programmer is taking the piss.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The timescale seems excessive but if he is working with some really awful legacy code then perhaps he is budgeting in time for testing and fixing other related parts of the system. Is he working on other work at the same time?

Most people I meet and work with don't take the piss and if he normally produces good code then perhaps there is more to this than you think, ask him. If he is getting shirty then be honest and say the timescale seems excessive.

Also, I really hate some of the crap you lot talk about perms, most are hardworking and no less talented because they decided on a lifestyle more stable than contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Also, I really hate some of the crap you lot talk about perms, most are hardworking and no less talented because they decided on a lifestyle they incorrectly perceive more stable than contracting.
                      FTFY
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X