• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Source Control for Databases - Nightmares with TFS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    connects Management Studio directly to TFS, overlays SSMS with source control features. I should be a salesman for Redgate (If only they matched my day rate!)

SQL Source Control - download a free trial for a month. I will be buying it at the end of the trial and it only took me 1 hour to realise that!
    Great will take a look when back off my hols.

Comment

In the past we have got VS to deploy the development instance to a local db and then made changes using SSMS. When it comes to checkin you can do a compare in VS to identify the changes so it will auto check-them out for you. If it builds locally with sql unit testing, checks then your good to check the changes in.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
        In the past we have got VS to deploy the development instance to a local db and then made changes using SSMS. When it comes to checkin you can do a compare in VS to identify the changes so it will auto check-them out for you. If it builds locally with sql unit testing, checks then your good to check the changes in.
        Try using the tool I suggested and you will see the phenomenal difference. Even if you are working as you suggest it still is very useful. Most places I have worked have a single dev Database due to limited number of developers - usually I control things when it comes to dev/source control/deployment. Local DB makes a lot of sense in larger teams, except it can kill your machine with intensive queries.

Comment

Working...
        X