• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solwise homeplug dropped from 12Mbps to 0.3Mpbs - what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solwise homeplug dropped from 12Mbps to 0.3Mpbs - what to do?

I have a Solwise unit plugged into my router, and two additional units; one in my garage and one in my home office. These both also function as WiFi hotspots.

I noticed today that the internet in my office seemed terribly slow. I ran speedtest.net and got .3 Mbps! I assumed it was the ISP since both my desktops showed the same result, but then remembered they were both hard-wired into the same homeplug (has 2 ethernet ports).

My iPad on the main WiFi reported 4Mbps, when I switched my Mac from ethernet to Wifi it went from 0.3 -> 8Mbps.

It was working fine yesterday - I watched streaming video at least without any issues - and I haven't altered our wiring or plugged/unplugged new things anywhere.

I'm not sure what to try... could the unit have failed? My main desktop doesn't have WiFi so I rely on the HomePlug. It's _just_ fast enough for web-browsing and RDP but nothing else, and clearly something has gone wrong.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Comment

My first thought was something is creating 'noise' in your wiring but you say nothing new has been plugged in.. Still... I'd try the following..

Unplug everything you possibly can and try on a clean circuit to try and eliminate your home wiring.

If that doesn't work I'd take all the hotspots out and try each on in the same plug one at a time to see if you get any different result from each one to eliminate the units themselves.

Dunno if you can on them but I'd factory reset the lot and try again.

If still no joy then I don't have a scooby.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        My first thought was something is creating 'noise' in your wiring but you say nothing new has been plugged in.. Still... I'd try the following..

Unplug everything you possibly can and try on a clean circuit to try and eliminate your home wiring.

If that doesn't work I'd take all the hotspots out and try each on in the same plug one at a time to see if you get any different result from each one to eliminate the units themselves.

Dunno if you can on them but I'd factory reset the lot and try again.

If still no joy then I don't have a scooby.
        Or replace them, which sounds simpler than this ^

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Or replace them, which sounds simpler than this ^
          Unless they aren't the problem?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            My first thought was something is creating 'noise' in your wiring but you say nothing new has been plugged in..
            Noise could come from elsewhere. It could be from the mains; some work going on nearby, or perhaps the alien mind control chip in your brain.

It must be pretty old if it's 12Mb. I had some years ago that were 60Mb, but I ended up replacing it with WiFi which was ultimately faster.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

12Mbps was the speedtest.net score for internet speed, not the internal network speed - I'm not sure how to test that easily?

I think the homeplug are rated at 200Mbps but clearly when your internal network is slower than your ADSL internet connection, something is wrong
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                12Mbps was the speedtest.net score for internet speed, not the internal network speed - I'm not sure how to test that easily?
                LAN Speed Test

Download the tool and run it. Of course, if your internet speed is crap that's easier said than done
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  LAN Speed Test

Download the tool and run it. Of course, if your internet speed is crap that's easier said than done
                  Nice little tool, do you know of an alternative OSX version, or do I have to wait until "Fall 2015"
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Nice little tool, do you know of an alternative OSX version, or do I have to wait until "Fall 2015"
                    LAN Speed Test (Lite)
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X