• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How important/useful is dual-bay (RAID1 mirror) in a home NAS, with cloud backup?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    How DO people here handle backup?
    I backup to NAS, and backup the NAS every now and then to S3 Glacier.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

It's important to make sure that your individual HDD are from different batches, even different manufacturers. 4TB is the maximum size you should use.
      why 4 TB?. I am planing on getting a 2TB NAS with 2x8TB drives.

I currently have an 11 yr old 4bay Synology NAS. Started out with 4x4TB drives. To cut a long story short, It is now limping with just 1 drive in the bay and 2 X 4TB 2.5" portable drives attached for weekly/daily backups. I decided that RAID really was not for me as long as I had backups

So I pretty much thought I am well protected .... until a colleague's house got broken into and that got me thinking of Theft, Fire and Flood since all my backups are in the house.

I have heard in this tread about S3 Glacier and Blackblaze online backup. which is best of for 3.5TB worth of data

I am sticking with 2bay NAS this time around so Synology or Qnap for NAS?

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
        why 4 TB?. I am planing on getting a 2TB NAS with 2x8TB drives.

I currently have an 11 yr old 4bay Synology NAS. Started out with 4x4TB drives. To cut a long story short, It is now limping with just 1 drive in the bay and 2 X 4TB 2.5" portable drives attached for weekly/daily backups. I decided that RAID really was not for me as long as I had backups

So I pretty much thought I am well protected .... until a colleague's house got broken into and that got me thinking of Theft, Fire and Flood since all my backups are in the house.

I have heard in this tread about S3 Glacier and Blackblaze online backup. which is best of for 3.5TB worth of data

I am sticking with 2bay NAS this time around so Synology or Qnap for NAS?
        8TB drives aren't as reliable as 4TB. I use Synology. My son uses Qnap. Synology is easier but less flexible to use.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X