New monitors New monitors - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

Thread: New monitors

Ducklike

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I just bought a 43" 4k TV for £199. Not because I wanted a 4K TV, but because it was actually on sale at the same price as a 1080p 32" one.
    Plug your machine in and see what you think! For me it's been transformational.

Ducklike

Quote Originally Posted by wattaj View Post
    I'm curious: how close to this monitor do you sit?
    Erm, probably too close

In fact about 50cm

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    Plug your machine in and see what you think! For me it's been transformational.
    I will have limitations because my PC cannot support higher than HD over HDMI and I'm using the DP output to drive my QHD monitor (which is also lush). In fact I've never run a PC on 4K because our laptops are all too crap to run that high when connected to our main TV.

But I might see if I can at least try it so I know how good it is... my Mac Mini is surely due an upgrade and the neer ones can drive dual 4K via HDMI (I think)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by wattaj View Post
    Aye, they finally added it to Windows but when I looked (a couple of years ago now probably) they had only done an half-arsed job. Can't remember what the showstoppers were that made me seek out a third party solution. May have been that all the virtual desktops shared the same profile so couldn't personalise each one with different shortcuts, colour schemes and the like.

Maybe they've updated it since then so it's now worthy.

For those not sure the benefits over a large monitor, both is still the best solution. A large monitor so can have multiple things open and visible and multiple desktops for logical separation of stuff instead of one desktop with a zillion shortcuts. The 4k monitors/TVs do need a compatible output from the PC/laptop to run 4k at a decent refresh rate, so DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Aye, they finally added it to Windows but when I looked (a couple of years ago now probably) they had only done an half-arsed job. Can't remember what the showstoppers were that made me seek out a third party solution. May have been that all the virtual desktops shared the same profile so couldn't personalise each one with different shortcuts, colour schemes and the like.

Maybe they've updated it since then so it's now worthy.
    Ah... that'll be why I don't use them then: they're still a bit crap as there doesn't appear to be a way to configure each logical desktop separately.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---

"...a poster boy for the union" (sic) - TestMangler '20

"Quisling!" "...BritNats like you who will always be Nawbags..." - Batcher '20

---

Respect my authoritah!

The Dell I got is great. Pin sharp, and I can have three code listings vertically parallel.

I've ordered a second monitor that's not quite so wide.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The Dell I got is great. Pin sharp, and I can have three shopping lists vertically parallel.

I've ordered a second monitor that's not quite so wide.
    ftfy
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................