• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good monitor recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good monitor recommendations

I need a decent monitor for doing web ui work so something with enough real estate - I guess 36"? Don't want to have 2 screens.

It seens cheaper to just buy a tv than a dedicated monitor. Any reason I shouldn't do just that?

I've just bought a Dell U2720Q recently, 4k with USB C and all the fancy colour stuff. Not cheap at around £500 but well worth it. Wish I'd done it ages ago.
    Whilst I don't do web work I write software and the resolution and colour are a big step up.

Not sure how big they go but can recommend them.

Steve

Comment

They do a 38 inch curved 4k monitor

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
        I need a decent monitor for doing web ui work so something with enough real estate - I guess 36"? Don't want to have 2 screens.

It seens cheaper to just buy a tv than a dedicated monitor. Any reason I shouldn't do just that?
        So you are really trying to justify buying a 75" tv through the company?

Top trolling.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          So you are really trying to justify buying a 75" tv through the company?

Top trolling.
          Well I'm justifying my 100 inch projection screen and projector because I need it for presentation purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Well I'm justifying my 100 inch projection screen and projector because I need it for presentation purposes.
            I did same.. Imagine my surprise when I found it worked a bloody treat with my golf net and optishot simulator as well
            Last edited by northernladuk; 5 August 2020, 14:44.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I did same.. Imagine my surprise when I found it worked a bloody treat with my golf net and optishot shot simulator as well
              Well it's the first I've heard of this...I'm dumfounded to say the least that my work presentation screen and projector could be used with my launch monitor.

Exactly the same when someone mentioned my newly company purchased water bottle fridge could also be used to store beer bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Exactly the same when someone mentioned my newly company purchased water bottle fridge could also be used to store beer bottles.
                Shut the door!!! Next you'll be telling me the Rolex my co has invested in looks good on my wrist...

Worlds gone mad I tell ye....

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post

For a TV to look sharp you need to check it is 4:4:4 chroma, otherwise the text will be blurred even a 4K one.

That's the difference between a monitor and a TV.

You have been warned!

4:4:4 chroma subsampling

Because TVs are designed for watching fast-action images they are not so good at displaying the sharp text that you might want to manipulate while using a computer.

So if you want to use a 4K TV as a monitor, we need to make sure it is capable of displaying sharp text. TVs manage this using something called ‘chroma subsampling’, although most of the documentation and specifications of TVs—disappointingly—won’t call it this. You may have to do some digging around in user manuals.

This article “chroma subsampling 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0” explains the importance of 4:4:4 chroma subsampling better than I ever could, but the thing to remember if you want to use a 4K (ultra HD) TV as a monitor is that it must support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.
                  Last edited by DimPrawn; 5 August 2020, 15:39.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

You have been warned!
                    Warning sockies.. That's gonna work

Comment

Working...
                    X