• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sybase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sybase

anybody know anything about Adaptive Server Anywhere? i'm looking at alternatives to the ms desktop engine but the sybase website is pretty flaky. [does this reflect on the product?]

sqlite

got a few recommendations. Its free (as in free beer) or so im told. Source is available as well.

I always understood that ms sqlserver = sybase.

Comment

well yes,

6/7 years ago, ms sqlserver = sybase. but times change.
      i'm developing a product that needs a database back-end. at the moment, i'm developing against sql server but i don't want a prerequisite of my product to be that customers have sql server installed. so i'm developing a layer that'll operate against several sources, inter alia sql server. the cheaper the better. msde is free and i'm looking for other options that will suit. i don't need a high concurrency, transactional system, although support for transactions would be nice. stored procs are preferable. triggers (at present) not required.

And thanks, wian, i'lll take a close(r) look at sql-lite. (is there any way around the cross-compilation requirement for the win platform?)

Comment

sqlite

The precompiled win binaries are already available on the download page.

Also one of the source files has been pre-processed and he says you can shove it through any standardish c compiler. (not that Ive ever tried)

The only reason I can see for doing the cross compilation is if you want to tweak or extend something. On the whole I would always suggest people stick to a main branch rather than forking into their own dev path on things like that.

Comment

msde ?

Just a thought - didnt I hear / read that msde was going to be pulled / charged for or something ? I seem to remember there being a reason not to use it.

(warning - im not a windows bod - nor really a developer of antything other than prototypes)

Comment

Re: msde ?

MSDE 2000 is and always will be free. Free as in beer.

I think you'll find ScotsPine that compared to SQL Server, the "free" databases out there are pants.

Sybase was good many years ago, but lacks the features now of MS SQL and costs more. Why bother?

Stick with MS. You know it makes sense.

Comment

Stick with MS. You know it makes sense.
              With the added advantage that you can play solitaire and midi files on the server.

Comment

ah Sybase - my first database love! Spent 3 good years using it and I think its great - as it was pointed out MSFT used to use licensed code but rewritten it in 7 or 2000. Transact SQL is still virtually the same.

Sybase 11.9.2 used to be available (binaries) for free under Linux, but I think they phased it out. Sybase used to be huge in the City however its being phased out, as the result few people actually want to learn Sybase and I think they are in terminal decline.

Talking of product - its great! At least v11, have not tried 12+, but my believe is that good people at Sybase are very good, I reserve judgement about Java sh1t they got as extra in v12+.

You might get a good deal on it as they must be desperate to get any sales.

Comment

MS Servers

Yes, it is vitality important that servers have DirectX, can play 3D games, MIDI tunes etc.

Otherwise the sys admins get very bored. That's why Windows on the server is better than Linux.

Comment

Working...
                  X