• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java Web Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java Web Services

Any of you people familiar with Web Services?

I'm a Java developer, familiar with most common J2EE frameworks (struts/spring etc) but Web Services is something I've managed to avoid until now. However almost all job specs seem to list it thesedays, and my current client is considering using it soon. I've been looking at the Apache Axis project, and have spent some time going through the user guide. I understand the basics, but need some pointers as to it's practical use.

1) What would common uses for web services be in a typical J2EE app?

2) Does it enable functionality that couldn't otherwise be achieved, or is it just that it offers a more efficient and configurable solution?

3) I've done some samples as mentioned above, but am struggling to see how that would be incorporated into one of my web apps. Is the idea that you call the service using an http request, and obtain a response? Or are you passing full java objects to the service? All the samples are command line based, with output to the console. I imagined that you would call the service via an http request and receive the response on the webpage. Or can it be form based?

Ok, that's not really a proper question - but you see my point, I'm just trying to understand its use in the real world. I should probably head to the appropriate forum, but thought I might get a "not too techy" response here!

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=java+web+services

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Useful as ever....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Useful as ever....

Useful as ever....

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Useful as ever....

WHS

Comment

Last project I worked on we used web services to integrate several systems on different platforms (2 flavours of unix and windows) and developed in different languages. The problem was that each of the systems shared much of the same data but this data was replicated in each system; this meant that the quality of the data was questionable. We moved the common data into one central repository and implemented web services as an interface for the other systems to update / retrieve this common information. This is quite a common application of web services.

The good thing about web services is that it enables systems of varying platforms/languages to communicate via the gift of HTTP and XML. If you're running public web services and want some data security, just add SSL.

Comment

Thats just brilliant!

Comment

For example, your application might need data like this:

http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/de...documentation/

» UK address and coordinate data
                » US address data
                » International address data
                » Business data
                » Acorn demographic data
                » BACs, bank account and credit card validation
                » International bank account validation
                » Maps
                » Route planning and directions

Or you might want to expose some of your data in an industry standard way, without letting 3rd parties have direct database access.

Comment

It's just another term to put on your CV.

Back in the days when marketing people were not allowed near software development we just passed strings about through sockets, now it's SOA or Web Services. Load of pish if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    It's just another term to put on your CV.

Back in the days when marketing people were not allowed near software development we just passed strings about through sockets, now it's SOA or Web Services. Load of pish if you ask me.
                    Oh Dear ™

Comment

Working...
                    X