• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

File that I can't delete

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Nevertheless, the unlocker I use has a simple 'delete file' option which works on files which I've otherwise struggled to get rid of.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

EDIT: Gadgetman already posted the link. Therefore best I can do is to second his recommendation.
    Yes you are right, it could delete it (but it couldn't rename it!)

Sorry for not trying this sooner

thanks

tim

Comment

Which one? No problems reported here on either site (either work or home). Both are long established sites.

Your protection being a bit overzealous?

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Remove that link gadgetman? Site reported as unsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
        Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Remove that link gadgetman? Site reported as unsafe.
        Which one? No problems reported here on either site (either work or home). Both are long established sites.
        Your protection being a bit overzealous?
        It's probably down to the newish browser malware protection stuff. I believe MS has its own list, whereas others (such as FF and Chrome) use Google's list, so the warnings would depend on the browser used.

Personally, having read what Google has published about the way they do this stuff (including detailed descriptions of the technologies used and algorithms employed), I'd trust Google. As Microsoft hasn't really published much about this apart from marketing flummery, it's hard to determine whether their approach can be relied on or not, although one assumes that they try to do more good than harm.

FWIW, I was first alerted to a hack on my own site last year when Google Chrome threw its hands up in dismay when I went there (no malware placed on the site, just a load of hidden links to malware-hosting sites embedded in some templates to gain googlejuice); IE7 had nothing to say about the matter.

I really should keep my WordPress installation up to date

Comment

Dunno, it came up "this site is unsafe" in mine. Paranoia seems fairly common in PC progs.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You still didn't say which site!

Comment

I get a big red warning page on the first link.

This website has been reported as unsafe
              ccollomb.free.fr

This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.

More information

This website has been reported to contain the following threats:

Malicious software threat: This site contains links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons.

PS Net opinion suggests the warning is spurious and the program is ok.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 16 February 2010, 14:21.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

For the paranoid, the Unlocker app can be downloaded from CNET among others

Comment

No issues with that site from IE or FF at home or work...

Comment

Working...
                  X