• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why no MySQL roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no MySQL roles

There seem to be hardly any UK MySQL DBA contract roles [aside from the jokers paying £35k pro rata for a 6-month "contract", good luck with that]

Look for Oracle, MSSQL, Sybase etc and there are loads

Any ideas why MySQL is so poorly represented on the jobs side?

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    Any ideas why MySQL is so poorly represented on the jobs side?
    Because big enterprise are the only people paying for work at the moment, and anybody in big enterprise who recommends an open source solution is missing out on multiple kickbacks...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Is MySQL a skill?
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Is MySQL a skill?
        Exactly. Who's running a business off MySQL? Tho I do know a certain online card retailer considered it...

Learn SQL Server, that's the easiest step.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
          Exactly. Who's running a business off MySQL?
          100s (maybe 1000s) of people running little e-commerce sites.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Exactly. Lots of people who don't want to stick their hand in their pocket for more scalable enterprise.

If it's free, then any idiot can learn it.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Also larger concerns like Flickr, Facebook, Wikipedia use Mysql in one form or another for data storage.

Perhaps a more pertinent question is why Mysql became the default LAMP Rdbms, when Postgre (the Ingres variant) is meant to be better.
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Exactly. Lots of people who don't want to stick their hand in their pocket for more scalable enterprise.

If it's free, then any idiot can learn it.
                They tend not to want to put their hand in their pocket for a contractor though

Comment

I'm working on one right now for the Plan B. Two sales per day would be a major boom; there's no need for SQL Server or the like.

And if I can do it with virtually no database experience (I've learned how to do JOIN today!), then it's not a skill anyone's going to pay for.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

And if I can do it with virtually no database experience (I've learned how to do JOIN today!),
                    Yes, and there's the problem, you are now an experieced database guy right? Wrong! When the Db's need scaled up that's when they'll wish they hired a professional. But hey keeps me in a job ...

Comment

Working...
                    X