• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cant quite get my head around SQL Inner Join.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant quite get my head around SQL Inner Join.

Im struggling with part of the SQL statement for an inner join.

Suppose we have 2 tables, Employee and Training Taken.

The Employee table has the following columns; EmployeeID, Name, Telephone, StartedEmployment. There are 4 records in the table ie EmpID numbers 1, 2, 3 & 4.

The Training Taken table has the following columns; TrainingTakenID, EmployeeID, TrainingTitle, TrainingDate. There are also 4 records in the table for employees with the ID 1, 2 & 3.

A straightforward statement to retrieve a list of employee names along with the title and date of any training they have been on would seem to be along the lines of

SELECT Employee.Name, TrainingTaken.TrainingTitle, TrainingTaken.TrainingDate
    FROM Employee
    INNER JOIN TrainingTaken ON Employee.EmployeeID = TrainingTaken.EmployeeID

Now, I can understand the identification of the table and column names and just about get my head around the inner join.

But what I dont understand is where does the FROM Employee part of the statement is there or needed since the Employee table is identified by Employee.Name isnt it?

Why would FROM Employee be used instead of FROM TrainingTaken?

Why does FROM Employee appear and not FROM TrainingTaken??
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    But what I dont understand is where does the FROM Employee part of the statement is there or needed since the Employee table is identified by Employee.Name isnt it?

To answer your questions in the order presented:

1) Most people writing SQL wouldn't prefix each column name with the full table name - it would make the query unnecessarily long. It's therefore necessary to specify the table name in full following the FROM clause. You might consider to reading up on table aliases to get a better understanding of how queries are written in the real world.

2) The query should work in exactly the same way if you were to select FROM TrainingTaken and INNER JOIN with Employee. It's a matter of personal preference and shouldn't affect the performance or behaviour of the query.

3) See answer to previous question.

As a sidenote, if you find the INNER JOIN syntax unintuitive, you might consider using the older SQL-89 syntax. It makes more sense to me, but I understand that it's sadly being phased out in favour of the newer syntax.

Comment

Code:
        FROM Employee, TrainingTaken 
       WHERE Employee.EmployeeID = TrainingTaken.EmployeeID
      Make any more sense now?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Wouldn't you actually have three tables: emp, training, empTraining so that you only have to record the training title in one record?

Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Im struggling with part of the SQL statement for an inner join.

Suppose we have 2 tables, Employee and Training Taken.

The Employee table has the following columns; EmployeeID, Name, Telephone, StartedEmployment. There are 4 records in the table ie EmpID numbers 1, 2, 3 & 4.

The Training Taken table has the following columns; TrainingTakenID, EmployeeID, TrainingTitle, TrainingDate. There are also 4 records in the table for employees with the ID 1, 2 & 3.

A straightforward statement to retrieve a list of employee names along with the title and date of any training they have been on would seem to be along the lines of

FROM Employee
          INNER JOIN TrainingTaken ON Employee.EmployeeID = TrainingTaken.EmployeeID
          You might want to use a left outer join instead in this sort of scenario, so that you can easily see which employee's haven't had any training

Now, I can understand the identification of the table and column names and just about get my head around the inner join.

SQL is a declarative language, the order in which items appear in the statement isn't necessarily the order in which they are processed.
          As chicane pointed out, you may want to look up aliases.

The query you have could be written as

Code:
          SELECT Emp.Name, Trn.TrainingTitle, Trn.TrainingDate
          FROM Employee Emp
              INNER JOIN TrainingTaken Trn ON Emp.EmployeeID = Trn.EmployeeID
          This might look a bit pointless, untill you start dealing with self join (tables joined to themselves) and distributed queries (SQL Statements that get data from other databases/servers) or just very long table names

now
          Code:

SELECT HRDatabase.dbo.Employee.Name, TrainingDatabase.dbo.TrainingTaken.TrainingTitle, TrainingDatabase.dbo.TrainingTaken.TrainingDate
          FROM HRDatabase.dbo.Employee 
              INNER JOIN TrainingDatabase.dbo.TrainingTaken ON HRDatabase.dbo.Employee.EmployeeID = TrainingDatabase.dbo.TrainingTaken.EmployeeID
          becomes:

Code:
          SELECT Emp.Name, Trn.TrainingTitle, Trn.TrainingDate
          FROM HRDatabase.dbo.Employee Emp
              INNER JOIN TrainingDatabase.dbo.TrainingTaken Trn ON Emp.EmployeeID = Trn.EmployeeID

for a simple inner join like yours, you could have them either way round
          Last edited by Spacecadet; 9 March 2010, 10:22.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            As a sidenote, if you find the INNER JOIN syntax unintuitive, you might consider using the older SQL-89 syntax. It makes more sense to me, but I understand that it's sadly being phased out in favour of the newer syntax.
            Having grown up using the older method and having to use the horrible plus bracket things ( (+) )when defining outer joins I can definitely say that the INNER/LEFT/RIGHT/CROSS/FULL JOIN syntax is a lot more intuitive
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Having grown up using the older method and having to use the horrible plus bracket things ( (+) )when defining outer joins I can definitely say that the INNER/LEFT/RIGHT/CROSS/FULL JOIN syntax is a lot more intuitive
              I agree.

Last year, though, I worked on a project where the other guy who had been there for 3 years insisted that my code was no good because I used the ANSI syntax (as recommended by Oracle!) instead of the + notation. His reasoning was twofold. 1 - he didn't like it. 2 - it made the code longer.

But, he was a ****.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                As chicane pointed out, you may want to look up aliases.
                And dont do what the tossrag who wrote the procs i'm currently looking at and alias everything with incrementing letters of the alphabet so in a big procedure i'm constantly looking back to remember what h.code is (its the Country table, course it is, silly me should have realised that from the 'h'!)

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  And dont do what the tossrag who wrote the procs i'm currently looking at and alias everything with incrementing letters of the alphabet so in a big procedure i'm constantly looking back to remember what h.code is (its the Country table, course it is, silly me should have realised that from the 'h'!)
                  Even the scripts I wrote that build queries for me know better than that
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I also have an INNER JOIN confusion to do with nesting.

This works:

SELECT * FROM prices INNER JOIN (products INNER JOIN basket ON products.product_id = basket.product_id) WHERE basket.id = 123 AND prices.region_id = 2 AND prices.discount_id = basket.discount_id

The prices table contains a price based on the product, region, and discount. The nested join is there to get the name of the product from the products table at the same time.

But I need a third thing which is the name of the discount associated with basket.discount_id from the discounts table, but I can't figure out how or where I get that in.

So the records I need to end up with are prices.price, products.product_name, and discounts.discount_name, based on basket.product_id, basket.discount_id, and basket.region_id.

Can anybody help?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X