• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acer Aspire One Boot issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire One Boot issues

I've been handed an acer aspire by a friend as it "doesn't work".

It has a linux distro on it - Linpus I think

However after booting up the display is just thickish black and white horizontal lines and nothing else.

Any clues on best way to rectify this ?
    Last edited by FiveTimes; 10 May 2010, 07:50.

have you tried attaching an external monitor?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      have you tried attaching an external monitor?
      Not yet.

I did see it booting fine on Friday as I had to do several live updates to it in order to get messenger to work.
      After the updates everything was fine.

It was only when I was taking it back to friends last night that the issue with striped display happened.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        Not yet.

I did see it booting fine on Friday as I had to do several live updates to it in order to get messenger to work.

It was only when I was taking it back to friends last night that the issue with striped display happened.
        Drop it again, you may just "fix" it...

Comment

Have you tried bleeding the radiator ?
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            Not yet.

was it left in the car boot over night? might have picked up some condensation
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              was it left in the car boot over night? might have picked up some condensation
              No, it was working fine upto the point of me powering it on at friends house !

Comment

Got problems like that on an ancient laptop that seem to be temperature related. Stripey screen when cold ok when warm.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Could well be display config mangled somehow. Do you see the BIOS on boot or is that when the dispay goes wonky? If you get clear BIOS screen then mangled O/S and we may be able to help you. If mangled pre-BIOS then machine mangled and a bit harder to sort...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                    Could well be display config mangled somehow. Do you see the BIOS on boot or is that when the dispay goes wonky? If you get clear BIOS screen then mangled O/S and we may be able to help you. If mangled pre-BIOS then machine mangled and a bit harder to sort...
                    I can see the BIOS settings fine, although I am going to try and update the bios tonight to a new version.
                    The current one doesn't charge the battery - so I have downloaded the latest version and will try booting from usb this evening.

Comment

Working...
                    X