• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative router to crappy Netgear WNDR3700 ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative router to crappy Netgear WNDR3700 ?

Hi,

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 cable Router at home and it seems to be giving so much problems at the moment with windows7/vista laptop.

While laptops shows wireless connection as strong there appears to be no internet access. They seem to just get connected to IP addresses outside of my router addresses!

In the house hold there are 1 old windows xp laptop, TV, Blackberry, Iphone, Ipad, HP Touhpad that all work flawlessly with this router => wire or wireless

But

2 windows 7/Vista laptops in the house are driving me crazy, sometimes they work sometimes they don’t!

A bit of search on internet shows that besides the normal woes of IPV6 on win 7 & vista, the newer Netgear routers can be problematic as well with the issues I am experiencing.

For piece of mind I want to burn the Netgear and move on to some better router

My only allegiance to Netgear was the easy of setting up wireless access control and NAT on most of my devices ….

So Which Manufacturer out there is reliable and has got something better to offer?.

Cheers

Css_jay99

Are you sure one of the machines on the network hasn't managed to get itself running as a DHCP server? That would explain why things are getting addresses outside the expected range.

Comment

If you have a seperate modem it might be worth connecting a PC directly to the modem without the router and setting up a PPoE dial up connection to the ISP. I did this on my FTTC internet connection when I suspected a router problem, it showed me that the VDSL modem was not getting a reliable connection, thus showing me that the router was actually OK. Forgot to add that I have tried Draytek, BT, Netgear and other routers. The most reliable by a country mile has been a Belkin.
      Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 23 September 2011, 13:17.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Are you sure one of the machines on the network hasn't managed to get itself running as a DHCP server? That would explain why things are getting addresses outside the expected range.
        I doubt that though if the winxp laptop and hand held devices work ok, But I will check that out tonight when I get home ....

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        If you have a seperate modem it might be worth connecting a PC directly to the modem without the router and setting up a PPoE dial up connection to the ISP. I did this on my FTTC internet connection when I suspected a router problem, it showed me that the VDSL modem was not getting a reliable connection, thus showing me that the router was actually OK. Forgot to add that I have tried Draytek, BT, Netgear and other routers. The most reliable by a country mile has been a Belkin.
        Connection to internet is fine on windows xp laptop.

Additionally I cant actually browse to my other devices such as my NAS, so I would think that connection issues will either be the router or laptops.

The reason I am convinced is the router is because My neice turned up from States last night and I granted her wireless access on my router and same issue occurrs on her laptop as well, while the misses is comfortably watching Youtube on the TV
        This kinda almost means that the router is the culprit .... same thing occurs if I plug in the LAN cable.

At the moment to get round these issues I dissabled IPV6, and manually assigned the IP addresses on each windows7/vista device ...

Windows7 is a bit of a minefield for me, that why I still like simplicity of win xp

css_jay99

Comment

Is there a firmware update available for the device? I must admit, Netgear is my least favourite brand of router though from personal experience, I had more hassle with Netgear than any other apart from Draytek which just wouldn't work on a poor ADSL line (having said that, Draytek were open about the issues with their kit and authorised a full refund no problem).
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Get a router with a broadcom chip

Billion 7700N/7800N
            Speedtouch 516/546/585v7/582n

all other routers are rubbish

Comment

Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
              Get a router with a broadcom chip

Billion 7700N/7800N
              Speedtouch 516/546/585v7/582n

all other routers are rubbish
              Netgear routers have broadcom chips.

TBH, most routers are either tulipe or not the problem. More often than not, its the wireless card in the laptop that is causing the issue regarding non connection.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Have u got it doling out a limited range if ips, ie not enough for all the devices?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Have u got it doling out a limited range if ips, ie not enough for all the devices?
                  its a limited range but there is still enough un-used addresses.

I will reset to factory default and see if that improves things.

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                    its a limited range but there is still enough un-used addresses.

I will reset to factory default and see if that improves things.

css_jay99
                    Perhaps the leases hadn't expired?

Comment

Working...
                    X