• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple mac newbie needs advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple mac newbie needs advice

I am interested in buying an apple mac.

All my multiple reasons are not fully solid enough to justify buying one ....but hey I am buying my own xmas present early , sorry I meant business asset.

Anyway i decided that I would be better off with the mac mini rather than another laptop in the household.
    It will replace an existing old 12" dell laptop located behind my TV in the living room,
    Idea is to
    1) Use as a media player/HTPC ..... I know it does not cut it feature/cost wise but I already have a ps3 ...
    2) install windows xp in virtual machine to do what my old laptop used to do ... i.e. torrents, install rarely used software i dont want clogging up my main laptop ..
    3) Trying to get into IOS app development ...... like when i get the time ...... eventually ... before i retire from coding
    4) It would come in handy for authoring home videos ... considering that i hear that its the best platform for such things ..

Questions
    1) should I go for the 2.7GHz dual-core i7 or the server 2.0GHz Quad-core i7 ? ; Is there a big speed difference?
    2) I am unlikely to start having multiple macs at home; does that mean that the Lion server version is useless for my needs or the additional processing power is an added advantage (if i am not thinking to much about the additional cost)?
    3) Is the Lion server software just a set of application suite install?
    4) Considering the prices charged for memory & HDD !, is it better to carry out those upgrades post purchase?

cheers

css_jay99

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I am interested in buying an apple mac.
    Sorry to hear that, hope you get better soon. :P
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

4) Considering the prices charged for memory & HDD !, is it better to carry out those upgrades post purchase?
      Very much so, just doubled the memory in my MBP for a teensy fraction of the price that 8GB would have added to the purchase price.

Used to have a Mini that I used to start getting into iOS development, great bit of kit but cant comment on the server versions of OSX as never seen 'em!

Guess the quad core would benchmark quicker but both of those are fast processors and i'd personally prefer the discrete Radeon GPU that the non-server minis come with rather than the ability to crunch numbers a bit quicker. Someone else has asked the same here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        Very much so, just doubled the memory in my MBP for a teensy fraction of the price that 8GB would have added to the purchase price.

Used to have a Mini that I used to start getting into iOS development, great bit of kit but cant comment on the server versions of OSX as never seen 'em!

Guess the quad core would benchmark quicker but both of those are fast processors and i'd personally prefer the discrete Radeon GPU that the non-server minis come with rather than the ability to crunch numbers a bit quicker. Someone else has asked the same here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

looks like the 2.7 dual core with discreet graphics might be a better option as you said. I am just a little bit sceptic because I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop with i7 2860QM and cant really see what the fuss is about its speed, .... so going down to 2 cores and lower GHz might be noticeable?

i wonder what the wait time is with the non default configurations

css_jay99

Comment

Ah - go on - you know you should ...........

1) Use as a media player/HTPC ..... I know it does not cut it feature/cost wise but I already have a ps3 ...

2) install windows xp in virtual machine to do what my old laptop used to do ... i.e. torrents, install rarely used software i dont want clogging up my main laptop ..

4) It would come in handy for authoring home videos ... considering that i hear that its the best platform for such things ..

Questions
          1) should I go for the 2.7GHz dual-core i7 or the server 2.0GHz Quad-core i7 ? ; Is there a big speed difference?

cheers

css_jay99
          Hi - tried to answer a few of your questions.

1) Use as a media player/HTPC

Yes - they make brilliant HTPC's (mine is sat in my Cellar out of site, along with my NAS) I run Plex, with all my DVD's now ripped to the NAS. Mine also acts as my home server, running the CCTV/remote login for my business.

2) install windows xp in virtual machine ?

Run either VMware Fusion, or Parallels. But for yuor Torrents - Vuze is available for OSX.

4) It would come in handy for authoring home videos -

I use mine for Video encoding (not so much authoring) but it copes with this really well.

1) should I go for the 2.7GHz dual-core i7 or the server 2.0GHz Quad-core i7

If you are doing lot's of video encoding, go with the i7 2.0 Quad Core.

More or less. I don't think you'd need it - unelss you want the dual hdd, and the slight CPU bump.

Definetely do it yourself. Just follow the guides on iFixit

I maxed out my Ram, and swapped the stock HDD for a SSD, then mapped several shares from my NAS.

I no longer run any PC at home, just the Mac Mini, and iMac as my main desktop, plus a MacBook Pro as my work Laptop which somes on-site with me.

I do still run Windows, but on a VM - and then only for MS Visio which I need. The OSX alternate doesn't have the full set of stencils I needed.

Regards,

seyre

Comment

Watch out with hard disks though, the recent iMacs will only accept Apple firmwared replacement system disks, check Google.

Comment

Originally posted by seyre1972 View Post
              Hi - tried to answer a few of your questions.

4) It would come in handy for authoring home videos -

I use mine for Video encoding (not so much authoring) but it copes with this really well.

1) should I go for the 2.7GHz dual-core i7 or the server 2.0GHz Quad-core i7

If you are doing lot's of video encoding, go with the i7 2.0 Quad Core.

seyre
              so my problem is now deciding between 2.7GHZ dual core with decent graphics or the 2.0GHZ Quad core with shared graphics.

I very unlikely to play games on it so which means my problem now is deciding if I would end up needing the discreet graphics of the 2.7 or not

css_jay99
              Last edited by css_jay99; 26 October 2011, 23:27.

Comment

I very unlikely to play games on it so which means my problem now is deciding if I would end up needing the discreet graphics of the 2.7 or not
                I'd say go for the quad then if its mainly for encoding etc. Games are the only thing that the discrete GPU will make a really big difference in (it can help to a lesser extent in other tasks too, lots of apps will use it if its available). If you aren't using it for games though or an app that is known to make particularly good use of the GPU then go for number crunching horsepower instead.

Comment

ok looks like i am sold on the quad core!

I understand that Mac OS x 10.7 Lion came out in july 2011 ..... and that 10.7.2 update came out oct 2011

(1) Would the mac minis (or even other macs) that ship direct from apple come with 10.7 or 10.7.2 ? ... i dont want to be faffing round updating if i could make sure i pick the latest build

(2) considering same price at pcworld/currys/comet and apple. Is there any particular reason to buy straight from apple store which is about 1.5 miles further from those lots?

css_jay99

Comment

Yeah, quad looks good, plus the HD 3000 integrated graphics aren't actually too bad. Integrated graphics have always been absolutaly rubbish but the one integrated into the Core ix chipset are capable of a bit of light gaming if needed.

Doesn't matter if its Apple Store, Comet, Pc World etc, same product and warranty, no difference. I tend to use John Lewis due to extra warrantly and good service.

As for updates, wouldn't worry, takes 10 mins even if you have to update it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X