• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do I create plastic moulds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I create plastic moulds

Hi guys,

Any idea whats bits and pieces I need to create plastic moulds?.

I am not interested in fiberglass stuff .......

cheers

css_jay99

Plastic moulds for jelly or chocolate or similar? Or tooling for plastic mouldings?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Plastic moulds for jelly or chocolate or similar? Or tooling for plastic mouldings?
      tooling for plastic mouldings

e.g. also to creating moulds of existing objects

DIY/hobby related so not big money stuff

css_jay99
      Last edited by css_jay99; 22 November 2011, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

css_jay99
        A clue of what you're tring to do would be helpful. Is it to make a full scale model of a tank or to manufature your own Mr Potato Head ?

Making moulds of small objects is best done with fibreglass, which you're not interested in

Think of a boat in reverse. Wax coating, gel coat, resin, layers of resin/matt etc.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

DIY/hobby related so not big money stuff

css_jay99
          Like this? NSFW
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

css_jay99
            It depends on the type of object & plastic. Vacuum forming you can do at home reasonably cheaply. For injection moulding you need to get tools made i.e. blocks of metal machined into the right shapes + there is usually a mechanical element involved to get the cores in and out so it's not something you can easily take on yourself. There are places that will do the whole tool manufacture + moulding job for a fee although you will still need CAD drawings of your part I expect.

You might do better to look at a 3D printer.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Like this? NSFW
              good thing I hovered on that link first ! before I lost my job!

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              A clue of what you're tring to do would be helpful. Is it to make a full scale model of a tank or to manufature your own Mr Potato Head ?

Making moulds of small objects is best done with fibreglass, which you're not interested in
              I was trying to build a few things e.g:-
              1) A small tray the size of a keyboard
              2) A cup holder a certain shape ...

basically the starting points will be :-
              1) making a cast/mould of an existing object
              either by (a) pressing an existing object against a putty like substance to make imprints that will then harden up
              or (b) using my hand to fashion a putty like substance that will then harden up
              2) Then pouring some form of material or liquid into that cast to harden up
              3) Then pulling that hardened object out of the cast and then shaped with something like a dremel ......

I dont know much about fibre glass and I only objected to it assuming it was going to be something like laying down some sort of mesh and laboriously slapping glue over it ....which is kind of time consuming .....

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Mmmm.

Injection moulding.

Think in the >£10k region for that sort of thing.
                i am looking at simple £20 type solutions !

Comment

Yes, injection moulding is expensive as the tooling costs are very high.

I think you can probably do something with a rubber mould and then use that to cast resin.

Latex & Gelflex Moulding - Casting & Modelling - Model Shop - Fred Aldous

Casting Resin - Casting & Modelling - Model Shop - Fred Aldous

Comment

Resin casting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X