• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 WIFI routers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 WIFI routers

The main router in our house, where the phone line comes in, is right by a dirty great metal central heating duct, so WIFI is not great and we can't get it upstairs at the back. Our main PCs are ethernet cable, the WIFI is just used occasionally for laptops, phone and Kindle.

I have a spare router so is there is any reason I can't just plug it into the phone extension upstairs? Any issues with two routers on 1 line?

Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Two routers sharing a single phone line / ADSL connection won't work, they will just interfere with each other.

You could potentially try and use the 2nd router as a wifi range extender or get a dedicated device for the job.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I don't think that you will be able to plug two Modem / Routers into the same ADSL connection - which one will be allocating the IP addresses? That's as far as my technical understanding goes

I have a second router acting as a wireless bridge. It connects as a client to the main router and is wired to storage and printers in the same room so that these can be accessed by devices in other parts of the house that have connected to the main router.

I don't think that is quite what you will be looking for though if the wifi signal to the remote parts of your house is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        I don't think that you will be able to plug two Modem / Routers into the same ADSL connection - which one will be allocating the IP addresses? That's as far as my technical understanding goes
        If that did work, then IP allocation is no problem at all, as the two routers are effectively completely seperate networks. But no, ADSL doesn't work line an analogue phone line. You can only connect one device. I imagine if you try to connect both, neither will work.

You could run a cable from your main router to the second one upstairs, or use powerline adapters to connect the two.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Cheers all. I won't waste a whole 5 quid or whatever getting a connector! That's half a bottle of vodka.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Bah! I don't have a spare one anyway now cos current one failed. Always assumed a router either worked or didn't but now I've put the spare one in the speed seems at least x10.
            bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              The main router in our house, where the phone line comes in, is right by a dirty great metal central heating duct, so WIFI is not great and we can't get it upstairs at the back. Our main PCs are ethernet cable, the WIFI is just used occasionally for laptops, phone and Kindle.

I have a spare router so is there is any reason I can't just plug it into the phone extension upstairs? Any issues with two routers on 1 line?

Cheers.
              wifi booster | eBay
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
              X