• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cable runs or hub ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable runs or hub ?

I'm moving some kit out of my study to elsewhere in the house, including wireless AP (better coverage), NAS (less noise) and some test kit.

The study has the phone point, so the main ADSL router/hub will stay there. With regards to connecting the relocated kit back to the study, do I:

1) Run a cable per device
    2) Run one cable and use another hub/switch to plug the WAP, NAS, etc into

#2 is easier; I'm not sure I'll hit any contention issues with the NAS, WAP traffic going down one link. I've currently got the WAP temporarily relocated and connected back using powerline sockets and that seems fine. I do stream music from the NAS, but again this is currently wireless and it seems okay.

I guess the proper solution would be #1, but I'm not sure it's going to make much difference.

Thoughts?

#2 could be better if any of the devices on the switch talk to each other.

I doubt you'll notice any difference. Do whatever is easiest/cheapest.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I bought a pair of TP Link 500 Mb powerline network plugs from Maplin. You don't really get that speed, but it's fast enough to stream netflix over my Virgin cable (which is stuck at 60Mbit/s).

I could have run a ethernet cable but as it meant ripping up floors and is only temporary until I do some "structural alterations". I was happy with the speed. Tried so 10Mb and 100Mb file transfers across both methods and the TP Links are about half the speed of going direct over a CAT6 ethernet @ 1000 Mbit/s. So what you'd expect.
      But they still were 10 x faster than Wirelenss N!
      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Same here. A set of netgear 500Mb powerline adapters. Not cheap but piss easy to install. Also they're going over a run of 25 meters. I get 200Mbit/sec out of them. The main server is in my study and there is gigabit lan in there so no performance drops.

Comment

Maybe I should stick with the powerline, and save having to run a cable. I was trying not to use powerlines, as it was one more thing to go wrong. But if I am now planning on using a switch, then there's probably not much difference between a switch and a powerline adapter (either could go wrong).

The Wireless AP I've been running temporarily on a powerline adapter has been pretty solid for a while now, and that's with a mix of homeplugs (solwise and devolo).

I see that solwise, similar to netgear, do a 4 port homeplug. Maybe that's the way to go!

Comment

I'm not a fan of the powerline thingys myself.

I have a LAN cable run up the outside of my house from cable modem to the study, and then have two small switches in the study for cabled connections up here.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

i also use the ip over power solution

not the expensive ones so only got 65/70 mbps but if streaming from outside of my little home network that is plenty is I only have a bout a 5mb connection.

and 65/70 seems fine for streaming from my NAS/Media server

but none of my kits is for anything but fun I may rethink if I needed it for serious work.

Comment

I have Netgear 200mbps powerline adapters running without problem despite having them on power bar extenders either end which they say you shouldn't do.

I wasn't convinced they'd work very well but was pleasantly surprised, much neater solution than running cables.

One thing I wish I'd thought of at the time was getting one with wireless built in so I could extend the wifi network.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Well, Solwise NET-PL-HL125G (4 port homeplug) on order; electrician is coming tomorrow to wire in a couple of new sockets so I can relocate the kit. Then we'll see how it goes. Backup plan will be to run a cable from the study to the kit and plug a switch in.

Comment

Quick update - it's been a month since I connected up the new Solwise 4 port homeplug, relocated the Wireless AP and a few other bits (including a NAS). And .....

... No issues - must be 99.999% up-time
                    I've not had to power off/on any of the homeplugs due to a lost connection. And there's a noticeable lack of humming since removing the NAS from the study!

I've had to reboot my Billion BiPac ADSL router a couple of times due to it losing internet connection, so that's the next thing on the list to replace.

Comment

Working...
                    X