• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

free email

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

free email

I want to set up a free email account for where I need to give an email address but don't need to check for email often (or at all after the start).

Does anyone use a free email service that gives a .com address, not a .co.uk, and that does not ask for your mobile number; or failing that, that does not actually use the mobile number, except for initial registration and/or password recall?

What do you really want? A disposable .com email address for a short time?
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Use gmail with a forwarding rule in the settings? I have been using it like this for 10 years...
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
        What do you really want? A disposable .com email address for a short time?
        No, I want a .com email address that I will check mail on but not very often (monthly?), so I'd like one separate from my main address.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          Use gmail with a forwarding rule in the settings? I have been using it like this for 10 years...
          Don't understand what that would do for me? I want an email address for mail that I don't check very often (but don't just discard).

Comment

Erm, which rule does gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail break? Im sure they wouldnt delete your account if you log in every few months.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Don't understand what that would do for me? I want an email address for mail that I don't check very often (but don't just discard).
              I don't think that you understand what a forwarder is? You don't need to check anything...
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                I don't think that you understand what a forwarder is? You don't need to check anything...
                I know what a forwarder is. Perhaps I expressed myself badly.

I have an email address, which I check often. That's fine so far.

What I want now is a second email address, which I will give to lower-priority people: an address which I will check from time to time, but not often. I do want to check it, but I specifically don't want to check it often.

And I don't want to get it from my current email provider (because of cost).

How are you suggesting that I use a forwarder?
                Last edited by expat; 27 November 2013, 12:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
                  Erm, which rule does gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail break? Im sure they wouldnt delete your account if you log in every few months.
                  They do ask for a mobile number. I don't like giving it out, but I suppose I'll have to.

I was under the mistaken impression that yahoo mail would make me take a .co.uk address, but that has changed so it might be the answer.

I didn't want Gmail because I already have one and wanted to avoid confusion. Apologied, you couldn't know a rule that I didn't state!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    I know what a forwarder is. Perhaps I expressed myself badly.

I have an email address, which I check often. That's fine so far.

What I want now is a second email address, which I will give to lower-priority people: an address which I will check from time to time, but not often. I do want to check it, but I specifically don't want to check it often.

And I don't want to get it from my current email provider (because of cost).

How are you suggesting that I use a forwarder?
                    If there is a forwarding rule, then you don't need to check it, since it forwards the email onto your "main" email from that, secondary and hardly used, email address...but nothing stops you from logging in an checking it. I have, for example, 3 gmail addresses, primary, secondary and tertiary - the latter 2 have forwarders on to the primary.

IAOH

Comment

Working...
                    X