• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking Abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    You can always give up your US green card if you have no intention of working back in the US when you leave. If you later returned to work in the US you would need to go through the whole visa application process again though.
    Is there any cost in doing so, as there is in relinquishing citizenship?

Which part of the US do you work in, if you don't my asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
      Is there any cost in doing so, as there is in relinquishing citizenship?

Which part of the US do you work in, if you don't my asking?
      Not that I am aware of - a green card isn't the same as citizenship. I would seek professional advice though but this article covers some of the points to be aware of from what I have heard through my UK/US accountants - 15 Things to Consider Before you Give Up Green Card Voluntarily - VisaPro Immigration Articles

I am working in the greater New York City area for a UK/US client.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post

Does anyone have any experience taking contracts in other country's? If so how did it work out?
        :
        Yip. worked out brill, thanks,

Comment

Not true - There are plenty of freelancers in the US across many industries. It's worthwhile especially if you have health insurance already.
          That's why I used the word considered (a poor mans option), I know and have worked with plenty of people doing it. I certainly didn't say it was not worthwhile.

You can get bad contractors anywhere in the world. If they were reporting into you then why not give them the snip and hire someone more capable.
          Again, I said, in my discipline.
          Unfortunately, it is a known thing, getting contractors in NYC, in my discipline, is very difficult.
          I should know, I have been in the position of recruiting in NYC, on at least 4 occasions, furthermore a colleague has just found exactly the same.

Even the software vendor would agree, in particular, when it comes to NYC.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Not true - There are plenty of freelancers in the US across many industries. It's worthwhile especially if you have health insurance already.

I'm one of them now

But you need a VISA?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I did a year in Ireland on a decent rate yet didn't bank half a much in the war chest as normal.
              I did six months in Dublin and lived like a king. Walked away with some nice glassware as a present from the client, some new luggage and an extra three stone around my waist. No extra cash in the warchest after that one.

The flights were the killer for me though, out and back every week.
              "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
              "See?"

Comment

an extra three stone around my waist.
                Had a similar experience, working away, in Belfast, as the client paid all expenses on top
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Had a similar experience, working away, in Belfast, as the client paid all expenses on top
                  Same for me wrt expenses.
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

Working...
                  X