• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE CC elections - who's going to stand this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Isn't that what contracting was supposed to be?
    I think contracting - providing your expertise at a daily rate

This is more here are the tools to do that for a reasonable sum of money £1-10k a month. Now here is the training And development courses and these are the associates we trust to deliver. And over time those associates will be replaced by permies...

Personally the only safe option at the moment is to get off the contracting treadmill. Using the most specialized parts of my skillet seems to be the safest way to do that. Especially when even the previously regarded specialized consultancies at the moment have reputations that are in the mud
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What do IPSE do?

I don't see them helping to defend huge swathes of contractors and freelancers?

Isn't rather a elitist organisation?
      http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
        What do IPSE do?

I don't see them helping to defend huge swathes of contractors and freelancers?

When you don't say you see them defending us, do you actively follow them reading the newsletters and publications or do you just cast a vague eye in their direction every so often?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          When you don't say you see them defending us, do you actively follow them reading the newsletters and publications or do you just cast a vague eye in their direction every so often?
          I was thinking due to landrover's signature that it was more a complaint that IPSE are not supporting those caught up in Tax schemes that was on HMRC's radar.

I know that complaint has been made a few times on here but I can't remember if landrover is someone who has stated as much in the past.

Comment

I can't see his sig on the Mobile App. It just sounded like a person that doesn't really get involved in politics asking what do they do for him. Just checking like.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What do IPSE do?
              https://www.ipse.co.uk/what-we-do

Not in my experience.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I was thinking due to landrover's signature that it was more a complaint that IPSE are not supporting those caught up in Tax schemes that was on HMRC's radar.

I know that complaint has been made a few times on here but I can't remember if landrover is someone who has stated as much in the past.
                Correct in analysis of my questions.

We have thousands caught up in a potentially huge life changing situation. Obviously there are many who think it is just deserves for people being easily led & fooled & greedy, I could go on with plenty of further adjectives...

Many, in this nightmare, are probably members of IPSE or ex-members, so why are IPSE so silent on this matter, when we are talking about real peoples lives been ruined? Why are they not calling this government & HMRC to account for there lack of action on this matter for years?

No doubt there will be some who will tut tut and take the high moral ground, but many have no idea how we ended up in this nightmare, and it would really be honourable that an organisation like IPSE actually helped its members and the wider Independent Professional Self Employed Contactors and Freelancers.
                Last edited by LandRover; 3 May 2016, 18:42.
                http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

We have thousands caught up in a potentially huge life changing situation. Obviously there are many who think it is just deserves for people being easily led & fooled & greedy, I could go on with plenty of further adjectives...

Many, in this nightmare, are probably members of IPSE or ex-members, so why are IPSE so silent on this matter, when we are talking about real peoples lives been ruined? Why are they not calling this government & HMRC to account for there lack of action on this matter for years?

No doubt there will be some who will tut tut and take the high moral ground, but many have no idea how we ended up in this nightmare, and it would really be honourable that an organisation like IPSE actually helped its members and the wider Independent Professional Self Employed Contactors and Freelancers.
                  Sadly I'm one who takes that high ground. IPSE should not be fighting for those conned or tricked into joining schemes either to avoid ir35 or to maximize after tax income when I'm sure they never recommended such a scheme. I am however all ears if you have evidence to the contrary.

You are of course welcome to try and join the cc to argue your point. Your argument would not however be one that I would vote for.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    It should be noted that there ARE quality candidates rather than quantity
                    FTFY. Oh, the ironing
                    World's Best Martini

Comment

IPES's stance has always been to treat any such scheme with extreme caution, but they haven't said (in fact, cannot say) to use them or not to use them. From memory - and it's a few years back - members using such schemes are very few in number, possibly no more than double figures.

Also they have been following the cases and have offered to help out, but the guys leading the battle are more than capable and have the necessary focus, so personally I doubt IPSE would add any value to this particular fight.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X