• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector IR35 consultation launched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My public sector contract will end in a couple of weeks. It was a pig to get (3 stage interview) and although they had assumed (wrongly) that I would accept an extension, I politely declined.

Shame - it is an interesting project and the look on their face when I declined!

Comment

Originally posted by 6128k View Post
      Shame - it is an interesting project and the look on their face when I declined!
      Hope you did mention why.
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
        Hope you did mention why.
        I did indeed, but I fear they simply do not understand. Most of the contractors here have not got a clue either.

Quite a large agency contacted me last week via linkedin and invited me and others (10 in total) to a 3 course dinner and drinks, completely paid for by them. I was rather sceptical at first, but the restaurant was only a 5 minute walk away from my clients work place and the attendee list looked interesting. Anyway, I got talking to the director of the agency and he was surprised that I was even aware of the new legislation. I was the first contractor who had even raised this issue with him. I asked if rates would go up to compensate, he felt that this was possible, but he was unsure. He certainly wasn't impressed by IPSE and their efforts to support us!

Comment

Originally posted by 6128k View Post
          I did indeed, but I fear they simply do not understand. Most of the contractors here have not got a clue either.

Quite a large agency contacted me last week via linkedin and invited me and others (10 in total) to a 3 course dinner and drinks, completely paid for by them. I was rather sceptical at first, but the restaurant was only a 5 minute walk away from my clients work place and the attendee list looked interesting. Anyway, I got talking to the director of the agency and he was surprised that I was even aware of the new legislation. I was the first contractor who had even raised this issue with him. I asked if rates would go up to compensate, he felt that this was possible, but he was unsure. He certainly wasn't impressed by IPSE and their efforts to support us!
          What is it he thinks that IPSE should have done that they haven't done?

Comment

IPSE have published their response to the consultation (not sure if it can be shared here?)

On first glance I would say they have done a decent job. Hopefully it will be followed up by press releases and wider media activity from them

Comment

Interesting article on LinkedIn
              https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ir35-...let-happen-les

Comment

FOI response - how the estimate of £440m was arrived at

FWIW

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-853564

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
                  IPSE have published their response to the consultation (not sure if it can be shared here?)

On first glance I would say they have done a decent job. Hopefully it will be followed up by press releases and wider media activity from them
                  It's public on the website

https://www.ipse.co.uk/news/ipse-res...-public-sector

Both this and the FCSA reponse make a good case IMO. Let's hope common sense prevails...

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    That's helpful then.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      "We've guessed" would have sufficed.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X