• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors need to sell themselves as a Cloud resource

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you are proposing a retainer/demand based contract.
    Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You are talking about quite a small number of contractors there.
      Yep and also the one thing they will need is backup... Having spent the last year architecting systems on my tod, the ability in current clientco's to grab an exchange expert in minutes is saving me hours of research....

Hence consultancies with a breadth of knowledge are going to win this battle, your sole gunman just doesn't have the ability to react quickly enough.

that doesn't mean its not doable but it does mean to be a cloud expert you will need a group of experts in other areas to be able to answer questions quickly or at least point you in the correct direction...
      Last edited by eek; 18 January 2017, 10:18.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Contractors need to sell themselves as a Cloud resource

Originally posted by Alias View Post
        Sounds like you are proposing a retainer/demand based contract.
        No, I'm just mulling the ideas over really.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          No, I'm just mulling the ideas over really.
          You also have to look at how contractors currently work and how end clients recruit said people.

S3 may be able to pull such a scheme off but it would require a fair bit of investment up front and a lot of willing contractors.

The end result would I suspect look very much like a consultancy however...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You also have to look at how contractors currently work and how end clients recruit said people.

S3 may be able to pull such a scheme off but it would require a fair bit of investment up front and a lot of willing contractors.

The end result would I suspect look very much like a consultancy however...
            Create a virtual consultancy, charging people out at £100 more than their day rate (rather than the double their day rate charges that mainline consultancies charge).
            I've seen it done and it can work; engaging contractors as associates through their limited companies, guaranteed outside IR35 due to the contract and the financial risks. Massive amount of trust involved for the person handling the payments but that's a given.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Create a virtual consultancy, charging people out at £100 more than their day rate (rather than the double their day rate charges that mainline consultancies charge).
              I've seen it done and it can work; engaging contractors as associates through their limited companies, guaranteed outside IR35 due to the contract and the financial risks. Massive amount of trust involved for the person handling the payments but that's a given.
              It also requires contractors willing to wait 3+ months to be paid....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                SWMBO and my credit card use?

Hmm might have to think on this one to see it working. Maybe someone a bit smarter than me will post and all will become clearer.
                I could but I'm on holiday for another week . Watch this space
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you want to be a business or not? You want the benefits but they come with attached costs and risks. If you want security then stay doing what we do now.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Depends on the commercial terms. I've worked for a virtual consultancy and work done in January was paid middle of March. But then again, do you want to be a business or an employee.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Depends on the commercial terms. I've worked for a virtual consultancy and work done in January was paid middle of March. But then again, do you want to be a business or an employee.
                      Um, given the fact I spent 9 months preparing to start a consultancy before a particular opportunity came along I think that should answer the question. The 3 months statement was a reason why others aren't rushing to do it.

Contracting has been the game for a long period of time for a lot of people simply because its a very easy way to earn a lot of money. Now contracting may not be so profitable other ideas may take hold...

Comment

Working...
                      X