Umbrella for ad hoc work.. Umbrella for ad hoc work..
Posts 1 to 9 of 9

More time posting than coding

Default Umbrella for ad hoc work..

After 20 years contracting I took a permie role a little over a year ago and MVL'd my Ltd.

I've been approached by a former client who would like me to do some work on a very ad hoc basis. It could easily be weeks or months between invoices - at this stage I just don't know. Are there any umbrella co's that will work in this way without wanting to take their weekly cut - i.e. just take a fee per invoice?

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
    After 20 years contracting I took a permie role a little over a year ago and MVL'd my Ltd.

I've been approached by a former client who would like me to do some work on a very ad hoc basis. It could easily be weeks or months between invoices - at this stage I just don't know. Are there any umbrella co's that will work in this way without wanting to take their weekly cut - i.e. just take a fee per invoice?
    Unlikely as it's just about the most complex thing an umbrella can be asked to do.

Is there any reason why you can't do it on a self-employed / freelance basis?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

That’s not how umbrellas work I’m afraid

No is the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Fingers like lightning

There has to be a guarantee of at least 1 days work a week for an umbrella to fulfil their obligations as the employer, so if they cannot guarantee that then it is probably a no go - but if you want to talk through what they are propsing, then feel free to give me a call

Some things in Moderation

Any way of doing the work as a sole trader and paying the tax on your SA?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    This would be my immediate go to

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Hopefully... I'm still in discussions with the ex-client; they are a consultancy and needless to say once they found out I had the time for a bit of ad-hoc work the potentially scope has grown to another project as well.

I'm waiting for them to get back to me on ST. I've known the owners of the business for almost 20 years so that might help in this instance.

Failing that then I might be able to do enough to concoct something that could pass contractually as one day per week and then look at how that would stack up with Lucy... one of the gigs they would like me to do is an out of hours on-call service so I could work something around that to ensure a run-rate of at least one day per week.

Fingers like lightning

Happy to speak dependent on the outcome

Hopefully... I'm still in discussions with the ex-client; they are a consultancy and needless to say once they found out I had the time for a bit of ad-hoc work the potentially scope has grown to another project as well.

I'm waiting for them to get back to me on ST. I've known the owners of the business for almost 20 years so that might help in this instance.

Failing that then I might be able to do enough to concoct something that could pass contractually as one day per week and then look at how that would stack up with Lucy... one of the gigs they would like me to do is an out of hours on-call service so I could work something around that to ensure a run-rate of at least one day per week.
    Umbrellas are the least efficient and most painful way to work. They cost the most money and cause the most problems. The only benefit would be reduced liability as ST gives you almost unlimited personal liability. Umbrella is another layer between you and the clients money as well. We all have stories of waiting for months to get paid from an umbrella company thats ******* us around.