• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Umbrella Company Right For Me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes that is the rate that hays are paying me currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Masetw123 View Post
      Yes that is the rate that hays are paying me currently.
      Then it is not worth your while moving to an umbrella company unless the rate is increased - you would probably be worse off
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

In what way would you mean worse off? Less take home pay?

Comment

What Lisa is saying (i think) is that they are giving you the same rate PAYE as umbrella - there should be an increase in rate to cover the Employers NI at the very least.

Comment

Would they tell me this when i change over my details ? or should i ring hays as soon as?

Comment

When asking for the new rate just tell them you are going umbrella rather than PAYE and would like the Ltd comp rate.

If its not different (which I would think it will be) explain that this will mean in essence you are paying Employers NI twice (once by the umbrella from the rate, and once with the part Hays were paying for you when you were PAYE, and it not coming in your ltd rate)

There really should be the holiday part too.

Comment

Originally posted by Masetw123 View Post
                In what way would you mean worse off? Less take home pay?
                Yes, exactly. You would still have to pay income tax and employee's NI and the umbrella company would have to pay employer's NI and would also take a fee, all from that £11.21 whereas, at the moment, only tax and employee's is being deducted at the moment. If the agency wants you to move to an umbrella company, who will then take on all the employer responsibilities, the rate should be increased to allow for that

HTH

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Hi i got onto hays and they have confirmed that my rate of pay will be £12.30 if i switch over to an umbrella company. Would this then be worth my time? as i dont want to switch over to a company where i will be worse off.

Comment

Based on the info you have provided this would be your take home 37.5 hours @ £12.30 per hour with £80 pw. expenses:

Income 461.25
                    Expenses 80.00

Employer's NI 25.19
                    Employee's NI 21.91
                    Employee Tax 33.94
                    Total All Tax 81.04
                    CU Margin 27.50
                    Total Net Income 349.74

Would that leave you better off than you are now?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Well at present i take home £303.81 but also have 45.27 holiday pay taken out every week? so yes i would be slightly better off

Comment

Working...
                      X