• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using LinkedIn to find contract work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using LinkedIn to find contract work

Hi

I'm in the process of changing from permie to contractor; just working my notice period and trying to choose an accountant and do all the other paperwork. Next up is changing my CV and my LinkedIn profile.

First off, I have read the sticky threads and done a Google search of this forum. I've seen a lot of helpful advice already, such as keep it fairly minimal so you can submit different CVs for different contracts, which makes sense.

What I really want to know is how can I maximise my chances of using it to find contract work. For example should you say in your headline that you're available, or does that reek of desperation? (And does that matter ?)

From my search I can see that some people here have done really well out of LinkedIn. Is it mostly down to ensuring you mention the right keywords? (Also does that job search work for anybody? It seems a bit random.) Are there any specific settings it's worth changing? (My public profile is quite locked down, and I'd rather leave it that way unless there's a good reason not to.) I work in IT, in case it makes a difference.

Thanks very much.

Have a look through these threads. It's discussed in a number of them as are some other factors you might not be aware of yet.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=li...LQB4HZaZ2sj9gK

LinkedIn is about professional networking, not advertising yourself for gigs. If you are just starting out you won't have much contracting experience that will excite people looking for you and you won't have a network of connected people that will be interested in the fact you've become available so it's not the most important tool in your arsenal at the moment. It will grow as you do.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks- those are the ones I read (ok, I skipped the one about Isis). There was some useful stuff in there but nothing about how the people who do well out of it... do well out of it, if you get me. My profile is about 95% complete by their metrics, but I haven't bothered filling in sections about what causes are important to me, or anything like that. I just wondered if there was anything else I could be doing to maximise my chances of being contacted for contract work.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just have to do my time. (Do you have a view about looking desperate or not, by the way ?)

Comment

There is nothing desperate about a contractor telling their network that they are available to new work. That's the way of contracting.

I suggest that you need to consider what it means to be a self-reliant business person.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You do well out of it by being linked to the right people. Decision makers, influencers, your peers in other companies and so on. The right people at old clients is a good example. By being on linkedin the contractor is still infront of the client so when the work comes up hopefully the client will come looking. If you change your title to looking for new opportunities will also tell those ex clients you are available again and so on.

You can get enquiries by changing your title to 'Looking for new opportunities' and the like and may get agents looking for you but it's likely to be as scatter gun as their CV keyword searching is so you are going to get some level of rubbish. Hopefully you'll get a company or consultancy looking for someone with your skills, particularly if you are niche so a good profile is worthwhile.

If you've read those links I'm sure you've been on google but here is some stuff

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...2NLoS9aZ3jqKAK

I wouldn't put LinkedIn above searching the job boards and tailoring your CV though for now as I said.

IMO looking desperate is doing things like applying for £200 a day gigs when you are clearly a £400+ contractor, taking anything, applying for stuff that doesn't match your skillset exactly, telling agents you'll do it for less than advertised etc... Most of these won't work at the best of times but still not very good options. Be professional, know you schizzle, both in your chosen skillset and about being a contractor, get some gigs under your belt and those gigs should just keep coming. Look like a money grabbing mercenary who doesn't care about issues affecting contractors and you are going to have a very long hard career.

Comment

Oh yeah and don't forget to look at all the benefits around IPSE+ membership. Even if you don't think you'll use many of them you can all but make your money back on the Advantages scheme with discounts on all sorts.. Almost worth it for that let alone all the cover available, resources and the like.

There is a link in my sig if you could use that if you do decide to join.....

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              There is nothing desperate about a contractor telling their network that they are available to new work. That's the way of contracting.

I suggest that you need to consider what it means to be a self-reliant business person.
              Thanks for the feedback. I was really asking how it's viewed in the community, because I don't know yet (but I've seen it done), and don't want to make a mistake that could cost me. I definitely know that I will have to do a lot of legwork if I want to get work. That's not an issue at all; I want to start out in the strongest position possible. Thanks.

IPSE+ is definitely on my list, northernladuk, thanks. And for the other information. I've got a lot of that in place already, and will sort out the rest ASAP.

Comment

Working...
              X