• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - a couple of questions before I start...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Witty View Post
    My first post on these forums.

I was just browsing the post and saw this. Spot on. I've just finished my first 3 month contract and the 'shock' was massive. I was in a smaller company beforehand as well and to go into a big company was very tough. They had technical procedures that I thought were absolutely shocking and I made the BIG mistake of questioning them. This caused a little bit of strain with the bosses. It's not my place as a contractor to make suggestions. You get treated totally differently as a contractor - i.e. I couldn't use the copier or fax just in case I used it for business use - limited access to the office - I could go on.

My tip: when you get up in the morning put on your contractors head and not your employee head.

1) Not a mistake to question. Question by all means, but be aware of the answers and act accordingly
    2) I offer my suggestions as much as the next person. In truth, more so. I have opinions, I offer them. Just don't be previous.
    3) Not really. You get treated as you treat others. Everyone I work with assumes that I am a senior / perm member of staff until I go on time then they realise I may be special.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      1) Not a mistake to question. Question by all means, but be aware of the answers and act accordingly
      2) I offer my suggestions as much as the next person. In truth, more so because nobody ever listens. I have opinions on everything which I repeat ad-nauseum
      3) Not really. You get treated as you treat others. Everyone I work with assumes that I am a toilet cleaner until I go and when they realise the odd smell goes with me. They tend to make allowances because they know I am "special"
      FTFY
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Welcome Witty!

I was in a smaller company beforehand as well and to go into a big company was very tough. They had technical procedures that I thought were absolutely shocking and I made the BIG mistake of questioning them. This caused a little bit of strain with the bosses. It's not my place as a contractor to make suggestions.
        Perhaps it's a bit of a big company mentality that has surprised you. In a small company you often scope, design, procure, test, implement and support a system. In a big one you often find yourself part of a big bureaucratic process which can be frustrating and you are tempted to overstep your remit and give advice to people who don't want or need it. If they ask you to implement something which is a crap design you have to just go ahead and do it - you can go and tell the designer that you think it's done all wrong but you are probably just going to piss them off if you are the new boy. Sometimes you will find that you have to just keep your mouth shut and get on with your job and take the money at the end of the week. Other times you can connect with the right people and really make a difference. Mostly it's somewhere inbetween..

You get treated totally differently as a contractor - i.e. I couldn't use the copier or fax just in case I used it for business use - limited access to the office - I could go on.
        Ahh, sometimes (definitely not always) you get petty rules like this. Just bite your tongue, sit back and think of the money.

My tip: when you get up in the morning put on your contractors head and not your employee head.
        Good advice.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Not disagreeing, but another perspective

My first post on these forums.

I was just browsing the post and saw this. Spot on. I've just finished my first 3 month contract and the 'shock' was massive. I was in a smaller company beforehand as well and to go into a big company was very tough. They had technical procedures that I thought were absolutely shocking and I made the BIG mistake of questioning them. This caused a little bit of strain with the bosses. It's not my place as a contractor to make suggestions. You get treated totally differently as a contractor - i.e. I couldn't use the copier or fax just in case I used it for business use - limited access to the office - I could go on.

My first contract was with an investment bank after working for a semi-start up and a defence contractor. I was petrified the first day, thinking everyone would be super smart and the environment would be so controlled and demanding, especially given the massive increase in my income. I was pleasantly surprised by how relatively un-different it was. Yes, I did very rarely work til 3am but not often. Mostly it was more of the same with slightly more neurotic people and a lot more money.

This was a while ago but still. I guess you need to have confidence in your technical abilities and take the rest as it comes.

To be fair, some of the form filling crap to make changes to production will be a pain in the arse and a bit of a shock, but you'll pick it up no worries. Everyone hates the process IME, not on principle but because the tools involved are the crappest, most unreliable POS in the company. Consider it a rite of passage and just don't bitch too much. :-)

Good luck, but you'll be fine so you don't need it. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            2) I offer my suggestions as much as the next person. In truth, more so. I have opinions, I offer them. Just don't be previous.
            3) Not really. You get treated as you treat others. Everyone I work with assumes that I am a senior / perm member of staff until I go on time then they realise I may be special.
            Even if they don't we know you are special MF!!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X