• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About to begin contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I disagree. The last thing you want to do on your first contract is getting yourself in all sorts of trouble you do not understand and cannot get yourself out of. Wing it when you know what you are doing, not before.

I did Umbrella for the first 6 months and it didn't do any harm bar a little less money which is now totally irrelevant 4 years later.
    yeah, probably the better answer for a newbie..

Comment

Hence why I'm with an Umbrella at the moment

I eventually plan to go Ltd but just not yet, we'll soon see come April when my current contract ends
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Hence why I'm with an Umbrella at the moment

I eventually plan to go Ltd but just not yet, we'll soon see come April when my current contract gets renewed at 20% more
        FTFY

Come on man, you are a contractor now. Bit PMA required so you don't let the side down!!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          FTFY

Come on man, you are a contractor now. Bit PMA required so you don't let the side down!!!
          Lol well put I did indeed forget to put that in, especially after a 6 month stint I'll definitely deserve an increase
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Just to update this a bit...

I decided to go the Ltd route in the end and have gone with a local accountant who although being more expensive than the online ones advertised through here, gives me the peace of mind of having someone local I can just pop in to see if I need to ask anything etc.

Been a tough couple of weeks researching everything etc but almost all sorted now I think

Comment

Well done I hope it works out well for you
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                Thanks for the replies everyone.

Whilst I am tempted to go with an umbrella company due to it being easier. For me its all about the money (so I can save a deposit for a house) and I shouldn't have a problem with affording the time to learn whats needed for running a LTd company.

That said, I'm still keeping my options open and not committing to either course yet
                How close are you to having enough deposit for a house?? you may find it easier to get a mortgage if you're with an umbrella company, rather than a newly formed Ltd company with no accounts.

Comment

Well done I hope it works out well for you
                  cheers

Originally posted by Joeman View Post
                  How close are you to having enough deposit for a house?? you may find it easier to get a mortgage if you're with an umbrella company, rather than a newly formed Ltd company with no accounts.
                  At the moment I have about £11 in my bank and about the same in my pocket
                  (plus about £1500 to pay off on credit cards)

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    At the moment I have about £11 in my bank and about the same in my pocket
                    Things will soon change once you get a contract
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Things will soon change once you get a contract
                      aye, will be able to save money for a deposit as well as having more spare to enjoy life with

Comment

Working...
                      X