• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting my career in IT. Need guidance as their is so many possibilities!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Hi,
    what others have said get into a small- medium company and show willing to move into a very junior IT position, and then pick up on the tools and start teaching yourself.
    Thing is, this was ok 10 years ago, Nowadays there's no such a thing as a small IT company. It's all about the cloud and if you don't work for and with the usual suspects who do some sort of cloud computing, there's no business. Unless you have 15-20 years work experience and tons of contacts but I assume this is not the case of the OP.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
      Thing is, this was ok 10 years ago, Nowadays there's no such a thing as a small IT company. It's all about the cloud and if you don't work for and with the usual suspects who do some sort of cloud computing, there's no business. Unless you have 15-20 years work experience and tons of contacts but I assume this is not the case of the OP.
      Thats a ten year landscape for the OP though. Even when I started in IT I started small and grew in to a big systems guy over 20 years. Now I am at the front of Cloud and can see it for what its always been... no one can expect to do a degree then get a job straight into a data centre with 1000's of square footage of compute space. Since 1990ish I have seen converged mainframe systems on OfficePower, divergence to the PC and servers, the explosion of the Interweb a massive adoption of huge data centres, thousands of ferral disparate IT systems and now the move back towards a mainframe architecture (aka cloud)...

For most of it I saw the same technologies at the root of it....

Go to a reprographics house or a print shop or a small business... They don't have the want for fecking about in the clown'd they want a few PC's linked to a file and print and some web pipes... I am already encountering companies that have been burned by Azure or EC2 and want to go back to a cleaner home owned architecture...

The way in is finding a company like them and adopting the IT piece as you go. Then you have experience running a small office network. and you can grow even if its only a few levels up... But thats where you learn, because no one else can do it for you.
      Last edited by bobspud; 7 June 2012, 09:28. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
      X