• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

0expenses and the 24 month rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0expenses and the 24 month rule

I am vaguely aware of the 24 month rule and have asked my accountant to explain this. He has told me that expenses can be claimed if you are away on an overnight stay but that's it. But I have seen that people claim for expenses as they are working away from home e.g. away from their registered office.

Which one is correct? Can I claim travel / food expenses for up to 2 years of contracting?

Many thanks

Originally posted by MiniMani View Post
    Can I claim travel / food expenses for up to 2 years of contracting?
    Yes, it's most likely that you can and your accountant is being extra cautious by advising you not to.

What you do is nominate your home as your "permanent place of work" and for the first two years that you work in a given location you claim for travelling expenses, and meals under certain circumstances. The theory is that your place of work is only temporary and your real permanent workplace is at home. Once you have been (or reasonably expect that you will be) working at the same site for two years you have to stop claiming. It sounds kind of dodgy (perhaps your house has never been your workplace) but that's the way the system works and everyone does it.

There is a load of stuff about which expenses you can claim here: Contractor Expenses - How and what to claim via Limited Company or Umbrella. Have a read and make sure you are claiming for everything that you legally can.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Yes, it's most likely that you can and your accountant is being extra cautious by advising you not to.

What you do is nominate your home as your "permanent place of work" and for the first two years that you work in a given location you claim for travelling expenses, and meals under certain circumstances. The theory is that your place of work is only temporary and your real permanent workplace is at home. Once you have been (or reasonably expect that you will be) working at the same site for two years you have to stop claiming. It sounds kind of dodgy (perhaps your house has never been your workplace) but that's the way the system works and everyone does it.

There is a load of stuff about which expenses you can claim here: Contractor Expenses - How and what to claim via Limited Company or Umbrella. Have a read and make sure you are claiming for everything that you legally can.
      Thankyou Wanderer, as always a spot on answer.

Mini

Comment

Working...
      X