• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moved from Umbrella to Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moved from Umbrella to Ltd

Hi there.

Now I'm a bit of a noob (so go easy on me)
    I've been contracting for many years now. I always used an Umbrella Company (Parasol)
    But after securing my new contract in a local government, I decided to take the plunge and go Ltd.
    Now I know ClearSky are a bit pricey, but I decided to go with them as Parasol had always been helpful.
    I was going to go for their Essential package (£95) but the lady talked me into going for the Freedom Package (£120)

[Mod snipped the Freedom bumpf - if anyone uses it they know what you're talking about.]

I'm just wondering if any one else has made the jump from Umbrella to Ltd and can give me some tips on "what to expect" and "what not to do"

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    I'm just wondering if any one else has made the jump from Umbrella to Ltd and can give me some tips on "what to expect" and "what not to do"
    Linky

HTH
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Tip 1: Speak to your accountant
      Tip 2: Read their bumpf cover to cover
      Tip 3: Do some research on expenses
      Tip 4: Do some research on your legal responsibilities as a director
      Tip 5: If you don't understand anything go to Tip 1.
      Tip 7: Find a way to learn basic company finance and numbers.
      Tip 8: Read up on the situation of contracting in the public sector
      Tip 9: Research and understand IR35... very thoroughly.
      Tip 10: Find out about the 24 month rule and apply it to your situation
      Tip 11: Investigate the penalties for running your business badly and not fulfilling your legal obligations
      Tip 12: Have a look at the link about Basic advice when running your company thread
      Tip 13: Use the search method as explained in the FAQ section to search for anything before you ask a question
      Tip 14: Don't take any advice from me
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi CloudWalker,

While I haven't done it myself, here are a few articles in the CUK website

Limited Companies - Running a contractor company :: Contractor UK

Particularly:
        IT Contractor Tax - What Taxes Will I Have To Pay? Corporation tax l Dividend tax :: Contractor UK
        IT Contractors Questions: How to draw money out of a limited company? :: Contractor UK

But I'm sure that someone with direct experience will come along with some answers.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Call ClearSky and ask to talk to the person you'd be allocated to, and then ask them to talk you through things. You'll also find out that way whether or not you get on with the person you'll be dealing with
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks. I know there's a lot to read up on

My agency is Hyphen and I start my Local Government contract Monday.

Wish me luck. and I've no doubt ill be back

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
              Thanks. I know there's a lot to read up on

My agency is Hyphen and I start my Local Government contract Monday.

Wish me luck. and I've no doubt ill be back
              I take it you have had your contract reviewed and advised them it is a public sector contract?

If not get on to QDOS quickly.You can speak to them about Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance while you are at it.

I don't see any mails complaining about the contracts from Hyphen IR35 wise but I see the odd one about problems getting paid on time.

Have a read of the link below and maybe speak to Hyphen to understand how it affects you if at all as well.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ntracting.html

Comment

Is the contract longer than 6 months and more than £220 per day?
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

And are you on their rubbish Employed Consultant Model?

Because if you are you ain't a contractor.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    And are you on their rubbish Employed Consultant Model?

Because if you are you ain't a contractor.
                    This is the one Cojak is talking about...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...g-rip-off.html

I don't think he will be as they would be employed directly by Hyphen, not through a LTD but my experience of this was a long time ago so they could have changed it by now. Still one thing to be aware of though.

Comment

Working...
                    X